"It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~ George Eliott

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Biography

I grew up in a small city in southeastern Ohio in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. I earned my bachelor's degree in journalism with minors in plant biology, geography and environmental studies, and I have worked at a few newspapers. I moved from Ohio to Oregon in 2007 and settled in Salem, working at the SJ for four-and-a-half years before deciding to leave my 11-year career. My choice to pursue teaching was based on my experience as a Master Gardener. After I moved to Oregon, I became a certified Master Gardener in Marion County, and I decided to focus my volunteer time with the  "All About Seeds" schools program, in which Master Gardeners go to K-2 classrooms to do student workshops. It was during that time that I began considering becoming a teacher. My primary authorization level is middle school science/math, and secondary is elementary education. I chose science because of my undergrad experience and my interest in engaging more females into the sciences. I enjoy gardening, hiking, camping, dragonboat paddling and learning to play ukulele.

1 comment:

  1. Middle school science/math. WIth the STEM movement and your previous experiences, the outlook for employment looks very good.

    ReplyDelete